Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heron of Alexandria info request
Thanks for the reply Jeffrey,
I did look back at some of the older posts here, and I've also done some reading in various related texts (White, Landels, et al). All seem to agree on 60-70Ad as a suitable timeframe for Heron's works. Aside from learning about his work and technology in general, settling on the most reasonable date is one of my primary objctives.
I had initially assumed that the dioptra was one of his inventions, but it appears his was only describing it's use, since it was mentioned nearly a century earlier by Vitruvius. That answers my second line of inquiry. Although he discussed important concepts and sustantial matters, none of his own contrivances really had any practical application. I must therefore ammend my assessment of him as the Thomas Edison of his age. Perhaps I should compare him more with Leonardo Da Vinci. Interestingly, all the major components of the reciprocating steam engine are present in his works, but there were too many connections still to be made.
I was drawn to his works primarily by the surviving portions of his manuscript on the cheiroballistra or literally, the hand ballista. Aitor Iriarte has demonstrated that a workable but arguably underpowered machine can be built following the existing text. Eric Marsden, in his difinitive "Greek and Roman Artillery" found it difficult to imagine that Heron would have written about a weapon that ammounted to more of a toy than a serious piece of military ordinance. In an attempt ot correct this error he nearly doubled the diameter of the bronze washers which determine the dimensions of the rest of the machine. That change necessitated a host of other ammendments which were not present in the original. What I've learned is that if Heron's machine were anything other than a toy or novelty, it would be the exception rather than the rule. Thus, his changes to the original text are based on a faulty, or at least highly questionable premise.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Heron of Alexandria info request - by P. Clodius Secundus - 03-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mark Anthony - Heron standard? ghorvers 6 6,251 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs