Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comerus alert - Reproduction of Alexandermosaic for sale
Salve Musivarius,

I agree to You absolutely. In details the reproduction maybe even incorrect (e. g. the man behind Alexander wearing a helmet instead of a Macedonian cap) but the overall view is quite good. One may not forget that it refers firstly to the painting that - according to producer's site - was made shortly after the discovery of the mosaic when it was possibly more complete than today.

What disturbs me more is the style of the painting. For me the moustaches of the Macedonians are somewhat suspicious and seem to display the local Italian fashion of the time when the mosaic was found (1831). And the (brass ?) shield under Alexanders horse out of which an exactly 1/4 section has been broken out, seems to be very unlikely for me - but perhaps was it originally a broken chariot's wheel that has been misinterpreted by the painter - who knows? :?

But You made me very curious about the 9 rules for a correct Roman mosaic - would You be so kind and tell them to us? :wink:

Yours sincerely - Uwe
Greets - Uwe

Messages In This Thread
Re: Comerus alert - Reproduction of Alexandermosaic for sale - by Uwe Bahr - 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM