Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comerus alert - Reproduction of Alexandermosaic for sale
Nice mosaics..........(pause while I get on my high horse :wink: )

Look at any Roman mosaic of a figure and you'll see a line of the white background tesserae (tiles) bordering the figure. Somehow they managed to get every mosaicist throughout the Roman Empire working to this same rule which, to the best of my knowledge is unique in any form of art.

There are another 8 rules which you can see applied in every Roman mosaic, if you don't know them chances are you won't see them. If you do know them and any are missing then you'll spot it very quickly.

As I said they are really nice mosaics you can definately see the work that has gone into them and their other pieces are equally well made. But the 'Ancient' mosaics can't really be described Roman as they have not set the pieces according to the Rules.

OK lecture over Smile

PS FYI the Alexander mosaic had tesserae cut down to 1mm, ie 60 per 1 square centimetre.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: Comerus alert - Reproduction of Alexandermosaic for sale - by Musivarius - 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM