Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct form of Iron Age British names
Quote: :roll: OMG - can you not see that you have just confirmed what I have been saying all along about the etymology of Penegent??!!! Or maybe you don't understand what it is you are quoting?

I did write at an early stage "I have seen this proposed etymology although it was referred to 'Hill of the Foreigners'" and I have stated that it is my preferred explantion. You however have rejected this. Those posts are there for all to see.

Quote:
authun:2murqaqt Wrote:I have seen this proposed etymology although it was referred to 'Hill of the Foreigners'. But other etymologies are proposed too, eg Hill of the Winds, Head of the Hill or Hill of the Border.

I trust my source for this example (John Koch's "Celtic Culture" encyclopedia) because it generally offers the most up-to-date and widely-accepted etymologies - none of the other ones that you mention seem very likely to me.

However, you should note that Breeze does not offer this as a proof and rates it as no more than a reasonable explanation, allowing for the possiblity of other explantions.

As I stated at the outset, we cannot be sure.

If you are able to furnish us with any proof, Koch's or otherwise, please do so.

best
authun
Harry Amphlett

Messages In This Thread
Re: Correct form of Iron Age British names - by authun - 02-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Names. Especially Belgae, Gaulish and Pictish personal names? John Moxey 5 2,775 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Iron age British hairstyles Christian 4 5,757 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gobae