Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ioudaioi Ekatontamachoi", how they would look like.
Josephus writes...
Quote:He had, moreover, eight thousand front-line fighters, whom he called " hundred-
fighters," carrying long shields covered with bronze.

The original text calls them, "?????????????" or hundredfighters which, transliterated in Greek would be read as "Ioudaioi Ekatontamachoi"

The "long shield covered with bronze" would probably appear like this, which the greeks at the time called "Thureos" or "door" shield. This one is a thureos covered in bronze, definitely a long shield. Found in England, I forget its name. Apologies.
[Image: FullbronzethureosfoundinBritain.jpg]

I think that the "Ioudaioi Ekatontamachoi" or hudredfighters as their name means, would look something like the following pictures. Both those depictions have thureoi shields very close to the one found in Britain and are close both geographically (From Sidon) and chronologically to the battle described by Josephus.
[Image: PtolemaicThorakitesfrom145BCESidon.jpg]
or this,
[Image: PtolemaicThureophorosfrom145BCESido.jpg]
sword... a Celtic one per Ruben's suggestion, which is evidently correct.
[Image: AH4303%20Celtic%20Sword.jpg]

but his shield would be bronze faced like the one above. They would be clad in Linothorax or mail as those were the preferred body armor of the time and place. I guess scale could be used as well, but I would bet on either Linothorax or mail.

What do you think?
Kostas Papadopoulos
History fans like myself should keep these wise words in mind
When in doubt about sources, trustworthiness or what the writer of what you read about is really after, I \'d advise Ktesias test after that Münchhausen of ancient Greece.

Messages In This Thread
"Ioudaioi Ekatontamachoi", how they would look like. - by keravnos - 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,794 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite