Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massagetean heavy cavalry in Gaugamela?
Quote:Thanks a lot for posting the link to that article by Gorbunov - there are a lot of armour finds there which I've not heard of before. I am still dubious of the reconstructed forms of the cuirass, though, since it seems that only stray scales and plates have been found, and the overall form is largely arbitrary.
hello Ruben,
you welcome - I should say the same about your postings regarding the Kroi-Kylgan-Kala spearman. It would have been interesting to see these cuirasses reconstructed in metal or leather.

Quote:Very impressive drawings. Just a few comments re: the warrior on foot:

The helmet, sword, and sagaris are all too early for a warrior of the 4th c. BC. They are all types dating to the 6th-5th c. BC. The sagaris in the first picture (of the mounted man) is much more in line with examples of the 4th c. BC, while the swords from Chirik Rabat and Issyk are differently shaped than the one you have reproduced. The sagarises are also much too short - actual examples found show that they were quite long, around 80 cm or so, which would allow the horseman to effectively use them from horseback.

The evidence that we have for the composition of the cuirass (Chirik Rabat finds, the golden bracer from the Siberian Collection, the figures from Khalchayan, the coinage of the Indo-Saka kings) shows that the plates were the same size all over the cuirass, and not larger on the body than on the skirt. This evidence also points to the armoured collars being one single piece in this earlier period, and they were only later made of different plates or segments (as, for instance, is seen on the Orlat battle plaque).

I really like your depiction of the bashlyk being worn beneath the helmet and the sagaris being suspended from the belt - those are very neat details that a lot of people usually miss.
well,
first of all, thanks a lot for your kind words Smile
secondly, I would like to say that this is a kind of comment or reply that I am going to need the most so I can improve this picture.

.. and with your comment on the war hammer or war ax that is becoming so much easier. as per length of the war ax I was a bit taken by the Nikonorov's Bactria book and the klevetz in the illustration of Siparlises-Kushan duel therein ( I must admit I like these weapons a lot eg I want to depict the famous klevetz from the Treasure House of Old Nisa in my forthcoming Parthian rider). True that 'my' battle ax is of an earlier provenance, you are right. And the initial drawing had a different head.
As I am thinking about the length of this sagaris the image of High King attendant from Persepolis comes to my mind, I think king's sagaris was shorter, but then I think
Collar piece - I think we got it after Gorelik, who does show it a single piece, and I made it into segmented one, I have to check my detailed depiction - but then it would have to taller and protect the head as well?
I was tempted to draw it as collar of scales, I have a drawing of another nomad with a scales throat guard..
Cuirass needs improvement and there will be changes, I hope
well, I will keep you posted about the development and more changes, like I am going to add a fully saddled horse to the dismounted Saka.
By the way what do you think about the absence of a bow/gorytos?
ps
'Blood Meridian' is a mighty little piece of fiction Smile
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Massagetean heavy cavalry in Gaugamela? - by aqd - 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Re: Massagetean heavy cavalry in Gaugamela? - by bachmat66 - 11-18-2009, 06:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry? Eleatic Guest 17 7,252 01-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Adoption of the cavalry shield in Hellenisitc heavy cavalry. abou 9 5,105 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Questions concerning the Phalanx performance in Gaugamela Ronin81 4 2,841 03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Paralus