Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for Greek/Latin scholars regarding Gaulish javeli
Hi All,
Didorus Siculus, quoting from the Celtic Ethnography of Posidonius:

" Some of their javelins are forged with a straight head, while some are spiral with breaks throughout their
entire length, so the blow not only cuts but also tears the flesh, and the recovery of the spear tears open the
wound."

My question is this; What ist the word translated as "spiral", and is this the best translation?
I have seen this passage with the word "twisted" used in place of "spiral". Spiral is a very distinct description, indicating something that might be construed as a bladed corkscrew or spearhead twisted along its long axis. Nothing like this has been found so far.
If the word is better rendered as "twisted", then this might conceivably be applied to some of the spear heads found at La Tene and other findsites like the Marne Valley, where flame-shaped ( Somewhat like a Malaysian Kris ), gapped and even corrugated-edged ( like a Ruffles Potato chip ) blades have been found.
If however, the translation "spiral" stands, then there was a very odd type of Celtic javelin. Spiral points are found from later contexts; Viking age Scandinavia and Ireland, but none from the 1st. century BCE. ( that i know of ).

Thank you in advance.

Steven

Messages In This Thread
A question for Greek/Latin scholars regarding Gaulish javeli - by Steven M. Peffley - 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Terminology Greek-Latin Julian de Vries 3 1,480 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Renatus