Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flax and Crests
Greetings everyone,

I started this discussion in the marketplace in a thread about horse hair suppliers, but I think it fits better here.
But, here is the link to that thread: link from old RAT

Has anyone ever tried to make a crest with Flax Strick? It dyes very well, and I hear has the consistency of horse hair.

I have not tried it (or even had any flax strick in my hands for that matter) but, am curious if anyone else has worked with it and had any thoughts.

Is it something that would have been used historically?

Flax was available and used for linen (No matter where you are on the Linothorax scale).

Flax strick (also sometimes called unbroken flax) is sold now in about 3 foot lengths and would lend itself very well to crest construction. I will need to do some research, but it could be that it was more available than horse hair at the time. But, so far, this is just a supposition...Think about the number of crests and how much hair is needed for each. I would think that flax would have been a natural choice considering it was already being used for so much.

Anyone else have experience with the stuff?

Gaius Julius Caesar mentioned this
Quote:"The crest fron Vindolanda is made of a type of grass, so why not flax?"

Has anyone confirmed the grass on this crest? Could it be flax instead of grass?

Messages In This Thread
Flax and Crests - by Anonymous - 10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Re: Flax and Crests - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Re: Flax and Crests - by Anonymous - 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Re: Flax and Crests - by Marcus Mummius - 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Re: Flax and Crests - by Nikic031 - 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Re: Flax and Crests - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM