Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Heather\'s "Fall of the Roman Empire"
For my first post I would like to discuss Peter Heather's "The Fall of the Roman Empire". I found the book quite illuminating. It inspired me to author a science fiction novel about the collapse of an interstellar empire (which I've just recently submitted). Before I get into that I would like to hear other people's opinions about Heather's book and their views on the fall of the Western Roman Empire. If any of you are science fiction fans then you know that Asimov in his classic "Foundation" series favored Gibbons explanation for the collapse of the Western Roman Empire: decadence and the impact of Chritianity on Rome's warror spirit. I favor Heather's: overextension and Rome's influence on the Gemanic world, in affect Romanizing them, followed by the Hunnic pressure that forced the Germanic tribes westward. Any thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Peter Heather\'s "Fall of the Roman Empire" - by Joe92500 - 06-23-2009, 12:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DVD : "Fall of the Roman Empire" plus lost footage Theodosius the Great 20 8,068 05-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Alan Huffines
  The Fall of the Roman Empire by Peter Heather (review) markusaurelius 9 3,581 12-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Ancient Rome: the Rise and Fall of an Empire Tarbicus 84 26,280 11-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Niedel