Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry Charges
One example is the Battle of Northalerton in 1138: Scottish knights (or at least, the Scot king's knights) broke through a line of English spearmen and archers with their first charge. But there weren't many Scottish knights, and the Scots lost that battle.

At Magnesia in 190 BCE, Antiochus' cataphracts may have driven a Roman legion back into its camp in disorder (see Bezalel Bar Kochva?'s book on the Seleucid army). But Antiochus lost that battle.

Several early 16th century battles involved men-at-arms charging pike columns. The men-at-arms were either repulsed or broke through without destroying the enemy formation, but we know the two sides came to blows in some of these fights.

We need more research on the mechanics of combat between infantry and shock cavalry, but the idea that cavalry and steady close-order infantry never came to blows is incorrect.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Cavalry Charges - by Aulus Perrinius - 06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Re: Cavalry Charges - by M. Demetrius - 06-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Re: Cavalry Charges - by Titus Juventius Tertius - 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Re: Cavalry Charges - by Sean Manning - 06-10-2009, 05:08 AM