Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philip II Iron Cuirass
Does anyone happen to have the specific thickness of the iron plates of Philip II's iron linothorax? I've long found it quite a beatiful piece and over time I've been working up to making a reconstruction- I now have a complete poster board mock-up but my next big hurdle is what thickness of iron plate to forge. One good quality photograph I have sure seems to suggest it's relatively thick, judging by the edges- I know they're all folded over so what is visible is a double thickness, but it still seems substantial. One estimate I've made puts it at around 2mm, but that seems rather a lot. So I'm really hoping someone might know what it really is- even if it's just the current thickness of an edge, for example, I can account for the corrosion and folding to at least have something reasonable.

I'm also wondering about the 'invisible' hinges of the body plates- there's an old thread from '05 where there's some discussion, and I've seen a reconstruction that has one integral hinge at each plate's edge, and two on the shoulder 'flaps' (anyone know the proper term for these?), but I can only see the bronze ones at the back- none further along as some text suggests should be there. I loathe to guess, so if anyone has any help they can give there too, it'd be much appreciated. Everything else I have down- it's just the hinges and metal thickness I can't seem to really find...

Thanks (in Greek) Big Grin

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Philip II Iron Cuirass - by Matt Lukes - 05-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by hoplite14gr - 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by barcid - 05-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by Matt Lukes - 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by PMBardunias - 05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by Archelaos - 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by Matt Lukes - 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by Mythos_Ruler - 05-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Re: Philip II Iron Cuirass - by Paullus Scipio - 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM