Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Dress of the Working Class and Rural Poor
I recently became fascinated with some of the depictions im pulling out of books I have which show what seems to be a very archaic short sleeved and elbow length tunic type still in use in the late roman and Byzantine era. Initially I wrote this off on artistic convention, but after speaking with a professor at the local university it became clear that these images and a few finds show a distinction between the rich and poor in era (4th-6th c.)

In one depiction from early Byzantine times dock workers are shown still clad in the ancient himaton as they would have been for years, while the higher class folks in the work are wearing the up to date fashions we associate with the period.

In another later Byzantine depiction a somewhat poorer soldier very simply armed is shown elevating the emperor (whose name escapes me), this comes out of the later 7th c. this poorer man who I would guess is a militiaman of some sort is depicted in a plain white short sleeved tunic while the others who are armoured and equipped as regular soldiers again wear up to date clothing.

In addition, im told that fragmentary unadorned short sleeved tunics have been found in lower class cemetaries dating from the 5th-7th c. in egypt.

there are several other depictions ive come across, therefore I am led to believe that the Poorer laborers in the era musave in many cases continued to wear the older fashions which were probably cheaper and more conducive to labor. I would like to hear what people think about this, and also hear of any other depictions or finds people here have seen or heard of.
aka., John Shook

Messages In This Thread
Late Roman Dress of the Working Class and Rural Poor - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 04-05-2009, 02:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rural Roman Architecture Bryan 1 1,094 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Ancient rural Greek houses? immortal 4 1,418 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  4th/5th century roman women\'s dress Et tu brute 26 7,732 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS