Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Romans wear Chitons in the Eastern provinces ?
That is good work. One thing to consider is how you will launder the garment, which will probably influence how much you want to secure the edges of the stripes. If you are going to machine wash it, you really ought to stabilize those inside raw edges. I'd think that at the very least, you ought to whipstitch around the red/black inside seams, to help keep them from fraying. If the cloth comes unravelled along that stripe, it will be pretty tough to repair.

I found one way to make the shoulder seams match. I cheat. Basically, I have sewn up a complete tunic, then cut it into three pieces at the distance I want to add the clavus, then sewn on a LONG strip that goes up from the hem, over the shoulder and down to the other bottom hem. It has to match, because it's all one piece. Just a thought. I don't think that's how they did it, but it looks smooth and even. If you are machine sewing, that's not a difficult task. Just cut vertically, then splice in the stripes. Fifteen or twenty minutes. Hand sewing will take considerably longer, of course.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Did Romans wear Chitons in the Eastern provinces ? - by M. Demetrius - 05-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Segmentata in the Eastern provinces Nathan Ross 17 8,102 03-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Caratacus
  Did Romans wear Corinthian style helmets too? AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 37 11,256 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy