Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Thanks, Cole. I'll just add that the buff coat is made of exactly the same leather that we're theorizing made the Athenian white thorax.

And I'll says again--let's theorize less in print, and make some replicas and test them, post the photos and results, or better yet, take the results to marathon! Where we can compare, contrast, and disagree in person, while sharing a kylix of wine.

Stefanos, Homer uses the Linothorax term, I believe, just once (that'd be around 670 BC according to current theories) and then Alcaeus of Mytilene uses it again in about 570 BC if my classical memory isn't flawed, and then Herodotus uses it for the Lydians or the Egyptians in 430 BC.

I don't think that's enough to justify the use of the term for something we know Connolly theorized. It's a theory. It isn't wrong--it just shouldn't be treated as a fact. The linothorax is just a theory.

I say again--go to Perseus and run a comparison on all the words that appear with Thorax or any similar armor word. Don't take my word for it!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Kineas - 02-23-2009, 01:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,266 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer