Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World)
Quote:Yes, I am interested in this hybrid shield as well. Too circular to be a fully Boiotian shield and yet nevertheless it has the cut-outs. You see it often enough on pottery so it does seem plausible. But what were these cut-outs for? Surely they might have weakened the whole shield that must have gained some of its strength from its complete circular concave nature? Perhaps they allowed the spear to project through in close order advances? It is a baffling business...

The circular (Boiotian) shield has plagued my curiosity for some time now, some seem to believe that they are simply an artistic anomally. I believe the repeated appearance in pottery would suggest otherwise.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World) - by Dithyrambus - 01-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World) Ghostmojo 5 3,693 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo