Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World)
Before you scoff why not read this book? I don't have a view one way or the other, and the various images claim to have been researched by the authors/illustrators - who presumably are Greek. Where he did this research is not clear.

Regarding the 1962 film - yes we know it was largely rubbish - enjoyable - but rubbish on almost every level - from Spartan hair length to Leonidas' age (Egan certainly not looking 60) - from shield construction (bin lids) to cloak wearing - from single rank battle array to setting bales of hay on fire ... and so on. I hope somebody finally does this battle justice and films it properly one day. The Frank Miller novel-turned-cinematic mini epic 300 was a double edged sword. Yes it was a very cool film - but more akin to Tolkien than Herodotos - and it might have determined others not to bother retreading this ground, especially since it was hotly followed by hilarious Meet The Spartans!

Michael Mann was preparing a treatment of the Thermopylai story as much as 6-7 years ago. I hear from those who read it that the battle scenes would have made Gladiator look like a picnic. Likely contenders for Leonidas were George Clooney and Bruce Willis - both apparently enamoured of the Agiad King as potential movie hero. There has also been talk about filming Stephen Pressfield's book "Gates Of Fire". I've read this and it is a fine book - but - I wonder why bother such an approach (which is viewed through a non-Spartan servant's eyes) when the actual story (following Herodotos and other ancient sources) is great as it is?

Returning to the thread subject - has anybody else actually read this book?
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World) - by Ghostmojo - 02-21-2009, 06:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World) Ghostmojo 5 3,690 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo