Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World)
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World - Ancient Times) 7001

[size=85:169imofy]by Dimitris Belezos and Ioannis Kotoulas (illustrated by C. Giannopoulos, R. Fronimidis, M. Ginala)[/size]

Has anybody read this book?

I only came across it recently and it is a terrific read Big Grin . It makes a change from the predictable Osprey reads. The artwork is very good and often challenges conventional wisdom. OK, so there is only so much you can say about Thermopylae/ai - and this says it all (as well as inevitably touching upon Artemsium/ion), but it is still well worth having.

I'm wondering what others interested in the Spartans, and in this period and unique battle think?

I was quite intrigued by the Thespians wearing black and sporting Boiotian shields. I was under the apprehension that Boiotian shields were obsolete by this period (and only appeared as symbols on coins etc.) but here they are large as life with the half-moon of Black Aphrodite prominently displayed no less! 8) . Correct or otherwise they look really cool. I think I might have a wargames unit of black-clad Thespians at some point.

I would like to see this team turn their attention to some later Spartans - perhaps in the Peloponnesian War period or even later. Personally, I tire of Nick Sekunda's views on all of this - and he seems to dominate the Osprey stuff about Sparta. His book on The Spartan Army doesn't even mention the Royal Bodyguard (300 Hippeis) at all - so what kind of reseach is that? :roll:

Anyway, if you like Sparta and its odd occupants and are interested in the Persian Wars - buy this book - you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

H
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World) - by Ghostmojo - 02-16-2009, 11:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World) Ghostmojo 5 3,704 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo