Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold thread for Late Roman tunics ? (textile)
Quote:There are many examples for goldthreads in the early late roman world, for example in Trier: http://www.uni-bamberg.de/iabd/denkmalp ... /reifarth/ (very interesting project, but unfortunately only in german).
Neat ! I'll have it translated to English using Google. Hopefully I can get the gist of it :wink:

Ah, so gold thread does date to Late Roman times. Thank you for confirming Carlton's input, Barbara.

Quote:So heavily embroidered textile like the one of St. Arnegunde is very rare and only found in royal context, as you already said. I don't think it would be suitable for a "normal" officer, even if you do only the cuffs.
Yes, doubts have been growing in my mind about this as well. I will probably choose non-metalic thread.

Quote:Do you want to use real goldthread?
I've not yet had the chance to investigate the feasibility of using real goldthread. It sounds awfully expensive and impractical but I may be wrong. If you know something about using real goldthread to make a reconstruction I would welcome any information, Barbara. Smile

Thank you, again.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Gold thread for Late Roman tunics ? (textile) - by Theodosius the Great - 01-29-2009, 08:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Everyday Tunics Lord Hobbers 5 3,175 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Lord Hobbers
  Textile and Textile Production In Europe Vindex 7 2,486 03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  Roman Textile Industry & Its Influence richsc 0 1,512 11-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Last Post: richsc