Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imaginiferi (1st/2nd c AD)
Currently re-reading Tacitus' Histories, I stumbled across the description of an imago of Galba carried by a vexillarius (I,41). Although this should be an imaginifer and I take it as Tacitus being misinformed, I'm now curious again.

Okay, the imaginifer carried the imago Imperatoris. There was at least one imaginifer per (independently operating) unit, i.e. one per legion, also one for every auxiliary cohort/ala, and even one per vexillatio (AE 1991, 1400). To which part of these units they were attached, isn't quite clear to me. Probably, there's word of an imaginifer assigned to a legion's centuria led by the princeps posterior(?) (CIL 03, 195).
I cannot see a tactical role (being already fulfilled by the signiferi/vexillarii/aquiliferi). And though several inscriptions do mention imaginiferi as a title, I'm not sure, if they held permanent rank.

It's the same problem I've got with the legionary vexillarii: They seem to hold a rank, but are they just 'switched over' signiferi or are they nominated 'ad hoc' to carry the vexillation's banner (i.e. the banner of converged legionary units).

Maybe some of you can tell me more, and maybe there's more evidence. Any hint is appreciated.

A quick search on the forum showed no answer, but if it's already there, please point it out to me.
Tilman

Messages In This Thread
Imaginiferi (1st/2nd c AD) - by Lupianus - 12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Re: Imaginiferi (1st/2nd c AD) - by Lupianus - 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Re: Imaginiferi (1st/2nd c AD) - by Lupianus - 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM