Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic kit for 5th century infantry?
Paniarjdde, et. al.,

I was intrigued by your comment regarding the Late Roman Emperor Majorian. Actually, I believe he was one of the better late 4th-5th century emperors, from what I have read (e.g. Michael Grant). Unfortunately for Majorian, the Vandals were able to destroy the Roman fleet anchored roughly near what is now modern day Tunis. Once the fleet was lost, the Western Empire lost much of its strategic maneuver capabilities. The fait of the empire was then sealed, for the most part.

For point of reference,I am concentrating on the mid-and early-late 4th century, roughly around the time of the Emperor Valentinian I. From what I have been able to deduce from my research, the army in the West did not change profoundly from Valentinian's day to Majorian's rule. The profound change occurred sometime in the 3rd century, probably beginning around the time of the Emperor Septimus Severus. The changes took decades however. But one thing is certain, the army that accompanied Constantine at the Milvian bridge would have been unrecognizable to earlier emperors such as Claudius, Vespasian, Trajan, and Marcus Aurelius. I submit that Constantine probably would have recognized the army of Valentinian and probably Majorian's army as well. Others may disagree.

Best wishes, and good luck with your re-enactment quests!

Marcellus Valerius Gothicus
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Basic kit for 5th century infantry? - by MarcellusCCLXXV - 10-13-2009, 10:56 PM