Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Romans record the passing years?
Once again I apologize for not being able to find an answer to my question using the search feature. I find even being very specific I can't seem to raise any pertainent detail.

My questions are these. We in the west record the years as CE or BCE and previously (In the Christian world) BC or AD. How did the Romans number and record their years? In relation to a supposed date for the founding of Rome or some other major event? Did anything change when the Republic ended? Did they change to BC/AD with the advent of Christian Emperors?

Again thanks in advance for all information and sorry if we've covered this before. Please just point me in the appropriate direction (s).

Cheers,
Pict
Andrew son of Andrew of the family Michie, of the clan Forbes highlanders to a man from our noble forebears the blue painted Pict, scourge of the legions.

Messages In This Thread
How did Romans record the passing years? - by Pict - 12-10-2008, 04:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Felt, finds and or written record? Folkert van Wijk 2 1,923 03-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Glue used by the Romans has stuck around for 2,000 years Ioannis 2 1,470 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus