Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
Quote:I would like to know just how a gladius cannot be swinging low when the waistbelt is passed thro' such a crazy designed baldric that splits and goes to a top and bottom ring on the scabbard. Indeed I would also like some one to show me the actual Roman evidence that such a Roman Baldric design.

For me the part of the baldric that splits off and goes to the bottom back ring is a second piece, that is seperate but attached via a rivet. It does not affect the hanging of the gladius in anyway for me personally, except to keep it more secured to the body since the balteus goes over top of it.

And if you're looking for evidence you may not get it. That does NOT mean that we have to only use the scant evidence available in art that doesn't tell us much. If you're a stickler for that kind of thing, then knock yourself out. But there are people here telling you that after having done full tactical events at Lafe in the US, that the above method of attaching the gladius works fantastically well.

Not to mention there is no evidence to say that it was only attached in a certain way.

Ponder this, from Andy's post: " so it could just as well be the manufactures of Gladii were making the scabbards with all 4 loops and leaving it up to the individual soldier to decide how he's going to suspend his sword and how many loops to use."

Everyone should have to add a generic form of this to their reenactment mantra... 8)

And besides, it's a piece of leather attaching the sword to your body...no need to get all worked up about it.

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by Magnus - 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,535 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,332 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,607 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael