Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
In Civwar its called hiking up your traps.... things that hang loose and low bang around, get fouled with other gear, and slow you down when moving. High and tight keeps everything where it is supposed to be, so when you reach for it, it is there, not tripping you.

My pugio has four straps, one to each ring, while perhaps not "perfect" by some standards, the second set of rings makes sure I do not lose my $700 pugio while tramping about at Lafe!! Even a well paid Roman soldier would have recognized the importance of a back up strap (Idiot Strap) here and there... tombstone or not (I know some of you disagree, have to agree to play well together anyway). How much did a fancy pugio cost in Denarii in 73 AD?

Personally my baldric rides under the belt. No matter what I do, my scabbard never moves. I can draw my sword in the dark without taking a fatal second to look for it, or having it trip me as I get into formation because it has slid around somewhere impertinent or unreachable.

These are "practicality assumptions" I am making. While I cannot have the mind of a Roman soldier, I can look at the gear and say "I think it works best this way...." and they had 16-25 plus years to figure it out!

Every group, even those that play well together, have differences in emphasis and standards. Pandora's box

Messages In This Thread
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by rusty myers - 12-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,548 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,335 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,609 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael