Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire stop being the Roman Empire
Depending on the historian or author when the Roman Empire stopped being the Empire became something else.

Some take it as far as until the Ottomans finally overran Constantinople. Some suggest sooner with the fall of the city of Rome.

I am curious what the people here think. I dont care what your favorite author thinks. I dont care what professional historians think. I am curious what each of you personally think. No one is going to be attacked for revealing their deep secret opinion on this topic Confusedhock: . At least I hope no one will be.

To start things off I will post my opinion.

I have two in fact. To me the Roman Empire changed enough to not truly be the culture of Rome anymore and thus no longer the Roman Empire either when Constantine tried to create the serf class of the coloni, locking them to the land in 332. My other choice is when in 380 Christianity was made the official religion by Theodosius I. To me the toleration that had so well allowed Rome to accept foreign people and ideas ended and with it the Empire.

So when do you think the Empire stopped being the Roman Empire and became a sucessor state that was similar but different enough to you?
Timothy Hanna

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire stop being the Roman Empire - by Timotheus - 11-10-2008, 04:44 AM
My cutoffs - by Goffredo - 11-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number of Walled Cities in the Roman Empire Eleatic Guest 6 1,356 06-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Empire Map John1 1 1,491 11-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Mola
  Centurion - his role in the early empire Makas 3 1,747 10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross