Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Command structure of auxiliary infantry cohorts
Personally I would say, that the Niedermörmter helmet is almost certainly a centurion's, because it is inscribed with the name of it's owner and his legion, but not with the name of a centurion. And after all, the only menbers of a legion, who were not assigned to a century were the centurions themselves. This helmet however does not have any crest support.<br>
<br>
Vegetius stated that the centurions were distinguished by transverse, part silvered crests. So far no metal crest parts have been foud, apart fom the raised supports. It is possible that it was the helmets that were part silvered and not the crests. And said helmet was indeed part silvered.<br>
<br>
Taking this one step further, I think that transverse crests were abolished together with the fore-and-aft crests of the rank and file on the adoption of cross-braces. The part silvering then might have been introduced as an alternative distinction of rank. <p>Greetings<br>
<br>
Rob Wolters</p><i></i>
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Messages In This Thread
Re: Command structure of auxiliary cohorts - by Anonymous - 09-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Re: Command structure of auxiliary cohorts - by Anonymous - 09-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Re: Command structure of auxiliary cohorts - by drsrob - 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artillery in Auxiliary Cohorts dadlamassu 5 493 01-21-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Equipment of the Imperial Roman Auxiliary (infantry) LvpvsRomanvs 27 12,900 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05
  Auxiliary Cohorts and their titles Mick C Saunders 48 11,229 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Rado