Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summarizing the Third Century Crisis
Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:zjbbjoby Wrote:Jona, you may want to try to get your hands on the 7th volume of the Impact of Empire conferences.
Wow -- that one had passed me by. (Pity it's unavailable in Glasgow. :x )
I just ordered it. And here we can again witness that great Dutch ancient history swindle: the book is published by Brill, which is a Dutch publisher. But the book is distributed from England. So I must pay 20 euro extra to have the book shipped to England first, and 20 euro extra to get it back to Holland. I made a call to Brill, asking if I could visit them in Leiden and save the money (one railway ticket Amsterdam-Leiden is 7.40 euro), but that's not possible.

The problem is not Brill's, which is just a normal commercial publisher, benefiting from he shortsightedness of Dutch ancient historians. They used to cooperate with small publishers called Gieben and Forsten, because they belonged to an old boys network; and the ridiculously high bills were forwarded to the university libraries - and to the tax payer. Now, the Dutch ancient historians allow Brill to steal from you and me.

Sometimes I think that if Mao had staged the Cultural Revolution in western Europe, I would personally have sent the ancient historians to the countryside to learn a thing or two about responsibility. I am not even sure whether this is a joke - I feel really angry.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Summarizing the Third Century Crisis - by Jona Lendering - 09-11-2008, 08:31 AM
summary - by Graham Sumner - 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fortification of Gaul and the "Crisis of the 3rd Century" Eleatic Guest 1 512 02-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman armies of third century crisis Vexillation 13 3,729 12-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Vexillation
  Army composition of the 3rd century crisis? EdwardL 12 5,837 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross