Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus Question
This is a set of 2nd-3rd Century bronze balteus fittings that also include two elongated objects that are apparently from a second belt.<br>
<br>
members.optusnet.com.au/~...index.html<br>
<br>
I sought help from Dr Mike Bishop author of the 'Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies', have been advised as follows,<br>
<br>
"The openwork belt plates and buckle belong together (the buckle would have been attached to one of the plates by means of an integral long narrow strip bent back under the plate and passing through the rectangular loop on the buckle). The objects to left and<br>
right in the foreground are strap terminals, used to finish the split ends of the type of belt fastened by a ring buckle. Ring buckles could be just a simple circle with the belt passed through it on either side and fastened back on itself with a fungiform stud like the one immediately in front of the buckle. So, to sum up, you<br>
have elements of two different types of belt all of them 2nd or 3rd century AD in date."<br>
<br>
This however raises another question, and I believe I have pestered Dr Bishop enough already.<br>
<br>
If two belts of different types were worn, how and why were the two belts worn? Clearly this second belt was not the usual 'cingulum' over-the-shoulder sword belt, as this was attached directly to the Gladius scabbard and therefore had no ends for terminals to be attached to.<br>
<br>
It is of course possible that the items were not actually found together as claimed, but there are two reasons why I believe that they were.<br>
<br>
1. The absolutely uniform patina across the entire group of objects.<br>
<br>
2. There seems to be another set of balteus components found in exactly this combination. I have not yet discovered where the originals are, but they can be seen here in replica form,<br>
<br>
www.hr-replikate.de/katal...&image=274<br>
<br>
Does anybody know where the original was found?<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Balteus Question - by Anonymous - 08-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Re: Balteus Question - by Uwe Bahr - 08-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Re: Re: Balteus Question - by Anonymous - 08-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Re: Re: Balteus Question - by Uwe Bahr - 08-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Re: Balteus Question - by aitor iriarte - 08-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Cingulum, thank you Aitor - by Anonymous - 08-15-2004, 09:41 AM