Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEG VI VIC B PF on scutum - Severan/Newstead/Spatha kit
I live in Scotland 25 miles from the Severan legionary fortress of Carpow and have been assembling an early 3rd C Severan/Newstead/Spatha impression from the period of the Scottish Severan campaigns.

I am presently working on my oval dished scutum and before doing the rawhide edging I thought of provisionally painting the reverse of my scutum with the Legio VI titles and awards from the period which includes its final Severan Britannia battle honour. This is attested from a roof tile stamp from fragments found in the Carpow fortress.

I would like opinions on the suitability or otherwise of adding such a titles/battle honour to the reverse of an oval scutum from this period.

Clearly Legio VI at the beginning of the 3rd century were still proud enough of their titles to stamp it on roof tiles but would they also have commemorated the Severan awarded battle honour on their shields??

I have a paintbrush at the ready to overpaint it if has to go !!

The photo shows the current state of my equipment at a Scottish multi-period event I attended last weekend together with my scutum as painted with the 3rd century Legio VI titles.

[Image: 136b.jpg]
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)

Messages In This Thread
LEG VI VIC B PF on scutum - Severan/Newstead/Spatha kit - by Fabius Liberalis - 08-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newstead Spatha Marc 5 1,837 09-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Ivory handled Newstead spatha Robert 47 6,510 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Ideas for Severan Legionary Paul Elliott 44 8,939 10-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Forty-One