Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympic Games (interesting, actually)
Hi James,

In one of my previous posts I cited George Rawlinson who states:

Besides the battering ram the Assyrians appear to have been acquainted with an engine resembling a catapult or rather the ballista [236] of the Romans.

This engine which was of great height, and threw stones of a large size, was protected, like the ram, by a framework, apparently of wood, covered with canvas, felt or hides.

The stones thrown from the engine were of irregular shape, and it was able to discharge several at the same time. The besiegers worked it from a mound or inclined plane, which enabled them to send their missiles to the top of the ramparts.[237]

It had to be brought very close to the walls in order to be effective – a position which gave the besieged an opportunity of assailing it by fire. Perhaps it was this liability which caused the infrequent use of the engine in question, which is rare upon the earlier, and absent from the later, sculptures.

Source: p. 275, The Seven Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World By George Rawlinson http://books.google.com.au/books?id=wW5 ... 1-PA275,M1

The bas relief he is describing is depicted in Barnett and Falkner 1962: 172, plate 118. And although common sense will state that the catapult and ballista would naturally have come from the inventors of the first siege engines and towers I remain open to the idea until I have seen all the evidence.

I would also like to express my thanks to you or any of the other forum members who are able to scan and post an image of this bas relief for us all to see and make our own impartial judgment.

Thanks again.

Messages In This Thread
Ancient Catapults - by Tiglath Pileser III - 09-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Re: Olympic Games (interesting, actually) - by Tiglath Pileser III - 09-28-2008, 07:15 AM