Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympic Games (interesting, actually)
I share Jame´s worry that it is fashionable to try and oenplay western civilization. I also sypport Wayn's observation that we must keep an open mind.

I have som obesrvation that I still do not know how they will affect this converstation.

1. Talk about Greeks and only classical period comes to mind of most people. Bronze Age Greece that perhpas inveted some things and was perhaps more advanced is omited.

2. Mythos (lore) talks about funerary games that had their origins in Bronze Age. Hoplitodromy comes to mind. There is also a Bronze Age sigil showing runners passing by what seems to be a monument. (Nat. Museum Athens)

3. Orientalizing influence. No one in his right mind can deny that there was influence. As ofr the "mantra" that East is the source of everything and "barbaric" Europeans were influenced by it - I do not agree.
Example the pottery fragments with Greek letters found in Tel El Yahudiyia - dated in the Bronze Age and predated the "Phoinician alphabet".

Lots of things originated in the East but NOT everything.

Why it is hard to believe that some forms of "higher civilazation" (my quotes) simply originated in the West.

Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Re: Olympic Games (interesting, actually) - by hoplite14gr - 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Ancient Catapults - by Tiglath Pileser III - 09-22-2008, 01:24 AM