Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About biblical authenticity- Greek & Latin?
Quote:Were there commas in the original, or were those added later?
They are a medieval invention. In ancient Greek, small words like "gar", "de" and "me" give structure to sentences and sections, and make sure that you can not be mistaken about the context. The significance of these words was gradually forgotten (and is now the subject of much linguistic research - yes, progress; imagine a 1000-page book with the title Autour de 'te' épique. études sur la syntaxe grècque). In the Middle Ages, commas were added to restore clarity. I do not know if they were invented in the Greek east or Latin west; the Byzantines were the better scholars, but the question may originate with people who have to learn Greek from the very beginning.

An example of a change in meaning, resulting from the commas, is the anathema formula against the Jews, adopted at the Third or Fourth Lateran Council. The original

"Cursed are the Jews who have crucified Christ"

became

"Cursed are the Jews, who have crucified Christ"

- in the original, only Caiaphas and Annas are cursed, because they were believed to be responsible (this is not the point to digress on the trial of Jesus); in the new version, an entire nation is cursed.

Another example, from the late Middle Ages, is Jesus' word

“I promise that today you will be with me in paradiseâ€
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: About biblical authenticity- Greek & Latin? - by Jona Lendering - 04-16-2008, 08:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for Greek and Latin speakers Gladius Hispaniensis 2 1,537 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr