Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spear of Jesus TV Show(Spear of Destiny)
Hi Caius Ambrosius,<br>
<br>
The spear of destiny was already discussed recently on [url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=939.topic" target="top]this thread.[/url]<br>
<br>
It was a good TV show, wasn't it? A bit sensational, but very interesting.<br>
<br>
The guy you call St. Morris was St. Maurice (as a Dutchman, I am SO glad there's subtitles), and he has some legends attached to him.<br>
At best, he was a Christian martyr in the 3rd century, but his legend became 'attached' to more legends of a different origin. At one point he 'became' the commander of the 'Theban' Legion, which especially in Switzerland and Germany was a famous legion during the middle ages, for it was told that all the soldiers were martyred as Christians. All kinds of stories, saints and holy relics are connected to this legendary legion.<br>
<br>
St. Maurice may then have 'received' his North African origin, because it was possibly thought that 'Thebans' were from Egypt, hence Maurice as well.<br>
<br>
Needless to say, historical research hes defalted that enormous numeber of martyrs, although it remains possible that St. Maurice as well as the Thebans may have been historical. The martyriums and other tales are nonetheless fabrications of a later age.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 4/12/04 7:30 pm<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Spear of Jesus TV Show(Spear of Destiny) - by Anonymous - 04-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Re: Spear of Jesus TV Show(Spear of Destiny) - by Robert Vermaat - 04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
ST.Morris or Marius, My Thanks - by Anonymous - 04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks yet again - by Anonymous - 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \"Winged\" roman spear blades? Virilis 12 4,043 01-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Last Post: George44
  Sword vs Spear Todd Lewis 4 2,437 01-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  How did Greeks/Romans make spear/arrow shafts? Tempestvvv 7 3,664 10-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Crispianus