Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions?
Salve all!! I'm a new member here at RAT, but I've been delightedly reading this forum for years.

Lately, I've taken a keen interest in ancient Roman cuisine and througout the course of my research, both here, elsewhere online and texts in my possession, it's evident that garum seems as standard an ingredient in Roman fare as salt or flour might be today. There seems to be a general consensus that Vietnamese Nuoc Mam or Thai Nam Pla is the closest modern, off the shelf, equivalent of garum.

So, in my quest to satisfy my culinary curiousity and in the interest of hands on (or should I saw mouth and tongue on? :wink: ) historical research, I purchased a 7 oz. bottle of 'Hokan' Fish Sauce. The bottle states, at top, "Nuoc Mam-Thai Seasoning-Patis-Nampla" and was bought for a song, for $1.49 at my local grocery. As with all the references to Nuoc Mam I've read, it consists of anchovy fish extract, sea salt and water. It seems I've acquired the right stuff.

Now, here's the rub. I'm a bachelor, in my mid-30s, who's absolutely clueless when it comes to cooking or dabbling about in a kitchen in general. The microwave and my oven are my tummy's best friend...and while I've been known to get a bit creative with both, I can't prep anything beyond Cajun flavored pan-seared bay scallops. :oops:

I came across this rather entertaining blog, which was written fairly recently, about a fella who (like me and I'm sure a good many others here) got bit by the garum bug. Here's his take: http://www.gourmet.com/food/2008/01/garum

I'm a bit hesitant about susbstituting ketchup with Nuoc Mam on a hamburger, but it seemed to delight that blogger. So, I might give that a try. Yet, what might you guys suggest for quick fix application of Nouc Mam/Garum? Is it possible to make a proper dipping sauce for bread with the stuff? In a nutshell, what do you suggest are the easiest ways and best foods I can try with this modern equivalent of garum?

Any and every suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Big Grin P
Javier Lorenz Jr.

"The path to salvation is narrow and as difficult to walk as the razors edge" - W. Somerset Maugham

Messages In This Thread
Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Methos - 02-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Re: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Senovara - 02-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Garum Recipes - by Paullus Scipio - 02-26-2008, 02:17 AM
Re: Garum Recipes - by Aurelia - 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Re: Garum Recipes - by Senovara - 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Re: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Methos - 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Re: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Senovara - 05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Re: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Methos - 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Re: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Methos - 08-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Re: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by The_Mariner - 11-02-2008, 02:51 AM
RE: Garum/Nuoc Mam Suggestions? - by Yehya - 06-25-2021, 03:37 PM