Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first finnish made Scorpio- Complete!
Quote:Well, I found out that the local lumber yard doesn't sell ash in the kind of form which I need, they only sell thin pieces and bigger pieces cannot even be ordered. There is a boat-making company nearby, I'll have to check if they have thicker stuff and the lumber yard staff suggested that they might have some, but it is questionable.

So I might have to settle to just repairing this frame, or go to the local scrap yard for metal... Sad

Juuso, you may have to travel some distance to find your wood. My hardwood source is about 60 - 65 miles from my home. Look into wood salvage yards, if such things exist in Finland. I recall your having trouble sourcing large enough wood for the size machine you built. Speciality hardwood dealers are who you want to locate, not regular lumber yards that don't deal in hardwood as a rule.

Perhaps laminating thinner ash? You'd have to make very good joints, and that will be difficult, but maybe would work for the hole carriers, but for the stachions, not sure that would be wise at all, considering the forces these machines create.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica

Messages In This Thread
Sinew Rope - by jkaler48 - 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Re: The first finnish made Scorpio- Complete! - by AuxArcher - 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All finnish RAT members! Virilis 13 2,775 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Virilis