Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilum versus Ballista - Skull Evidence
Penetrating a shield was one of the purposes of the pilum, but the primary purpose was to penetrate the guy holding the shield, with or without hitting the wood first. At least that seems to be the consensus of opinion around these parts.

Back when I was in practice, I could strike a kitchen match with a tomahawk about 3 out of 5 times. (you have to hit the tip of the head with the edge of the axe, of course, a very small target from 4 or 5 meters). Nowadays, I can still stick the axe in the target but nowhere near as controlled as back then.

I should think that a Roman line soldier could hit a target the size of a skull from his normal throwing distance almost every time. It's what kept him alive. I just sometimes won silly contests with other people doing the same thing, and only practiced a couple of days a week for a year or so. The soldiers practiced a whole lot more intensively and seriously.

With a pilum, though, I can hit the ground just about every time! :lol: Other targets are fairly safe.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Pilum versus Ballista - Skull Evidence - by Nerva - 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Re: Pilum versus Ballista - Skull Evidence - by M. Demetrius - 01-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bear skull in Roman military context Marcus Mummius 20 6,543 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius