Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilum versus Ballista - Skull Evidence
Last August and September Tom Feeley and Alan Wilkins did some research into the effect of pilum and ballista bolts on skulls. This has been used to make a documentary for the History channel which I do not think has been shown yet. They used a standard Pilum, a manuballista and a 3-span.

Anyway, the results we're interesting and Tom Feeley has given me permission to discuss them with you. A number of sheep skulls we're used. Now I appreciate that human skulls would have been a better target, unfortunately the local sheep we're prettier so they won out :wink:

The pilum produced the same results every time, they stuck into the skull and left a perfect square hole when removed - no shattering or irregular holes, nice and neat square holes.

The ballista bolt on the other hand 'Always' shattered the skull - no neat hole, either a shattered skull of a bloody big irregular hole.

So, I think it's reasonable to assume that the skull found at Maiden Castle and elsewhere with neat square holes were the result of Pila, not ballista bolts.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Pilum versus Ballista - Skull Evidence - by Nerva - 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bear skull in Roman military context Marcus Mummius 20 6,451 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius