Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT / Romanarmy.com v3, ie Future RAT
Jasper,

I think there's a way you can set up a seperate wikipedia type thing, as another forum I am apart of is trying to do that (but having a hard time getting people to write articles/entries for it). They're still experimenting with it, but here's what they have so far: [url:2xvos01u]http://frontierfolk.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page[/url]. Even if you didn't do a wiki thing, a place where people can upload PdF files of their papers, e-books/scanned books, etc. would be another option.

Also, I second the recommendation that you check out Ravelry....they have over 1 million members from all around the world on there, and while I found it a bit overwhelming when I first joined (I was new to knitting then, so was overwhelmed to start with) I have grown accustomed to it and find it quite enjoyable. It's easy to lose many hours there, however....but then again, the same can be said for RAT. You might also want to check out the Ning groups for ideas on how to do the personal pages type of thing. I belong to the Early Guitar and Vihuela Ning group, and every member gets their own page where they can upload photos, videos, used to be able to do music (that service got cut just a few months ago), blog posts, etc....and there's a discussion feature on each individuals page where visitors can comment on what they have available, discuss directly to the individual something that came up in the general forum, etc. etc. [url:2xvos01u]http://earlyguitar.ning.com/[/url] is the site if you want to check it out for ideas. I'm NOT advocating that RAT move to a Ning site, as I don't think it would work, but it might give you some things to ponder about regarding RATv3.

Now...how about a chat room? You can have a general chat room where people can just enjoy themselves among friends, and then have a seperate "conference" room, where say once a week/month/however frequently you decide to make it happen you can have a special author/speaker/topic covered? It can remain locked until say 30 minutes before the presentation/discussion and then just get closed the next day until the next special presentation. Trying to hold a presentation/scholar time in a regular chatroom is darn near impossible, hence the second one just for that use. I do like the idea of having a conference option (either integrated or seperate from a chatroom)....maybe allow the speaker to use a webcam or even pre-film the lecture and upload it, and then use a chat feature for people to discuss the lecture after the video/presentation is over? Again, you can schedule a day/time for that to occur....and it would be a stepping stone towards having cyber access to future RAT conferences for those of us (poor grad students) who can't make it across the pond.

Cheers,
Adam
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules

Messages In This Thread
collaborative workspaces - by richard - 10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Future RAT - by Paullus Scipio - 10-31-2007, 08:53 PM
web conferencing - by richard - 11-01-2007, 01:07 AM
RAT 3 - by Paullus Scipio - 11-02-2007, 10:44 AM
World Travel Guide - by Caius Fabius - 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Re: RAT / Romanarmy.com v3, ie Future RAT - by Gaius Opius Fugi - 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM