Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for armor & helm
Hello everybody.

I'm looking for a set of lorica segmentata and a helm at the moment, but I've got a bit of a different set of requirements than most of the people here.

I'm a heavy combatant in the SCA, so I need to find kit that will stand up to the beating it will take on the battle field, and will pass armor inspections. I *am* interested in at least a *reasonable* level of authenticity, though in my case stainless is a plus simply because it's easier to maintain (fewer dents, no rust).

Given the number of Roman-style fighters I've seen in past years at Pennsic, I figured there'd be a good chance that at least a few people here might be able to help me out. I'm currently torn between two possibilities (a lorica and helm (which I can't use) up on ebay, or a Deepeeka lorica which I've seen gets high marks for authenticity. In either case, I'm just not sure about how well it will stand up to actual combat.

(The ebay lorica in question is here. From the info I've gotten from the seller, it seems to be 18ga mild steel, but that's all she knows.

There's another one here, but I'm not sure about it as far as authenticity goes, and for just $30 or so more I can get the stainless Deepeeka from SotW, and that's a pretty low premium for the known authenticity.

Unfortunately, while I've found a pretty good wealth of options for the lorica, I've got the opposite situation as far as helms. I've found only 2 sources for SCA legal Roman-style helms.

Sir Sven's Armory - Roman 1st Century Infantry Helmet here.
or
Waldryk - Roman Legionary Helm here.

I'm looking for other options still on that front.

Any help is appreciated.
Theo Brinkman

Messages In This Thread
Looking for armor & helm - by Faelan - 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Re: Looking for armor & helm - by rusty myers - 10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Re: Looking for armor & helm - by Hibernicus - 10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
About Waldryk - by scythius - 10-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Re: Looking for armor & helm - by Palaemon - 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Re: Looking for armor & helm - by Dean Cunningham metalsmim - 10-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Re: Looking for armor & helm - by Faelan - 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Re: Looking for armor & helm - by Dean Cunningham metalsmim - 10-19-2007, 03:33 PM