Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
surviving "Isotonic" roman drinks recipes
Somewere, I had read they drink a mix of water, vinegar and -honey-?
I also read this on a reenacting group´s march along Hadrians wall (Comitatus)
EDITED:
Quote: Of course we carried water, as well as posca (Roman wine-vineager) and cider to keep us refreshed.
No honey...but seems close.Not sure now of that...:?

While reading the newspaper there was an article of Añana´s Salt Valley, a place near Vitoria, in Spain, where I live, where is a spring containing 200g salt per litre (sea has 36g and the Dead sea 350g). The water has been put into terraces and let dry into the sun since...well there has been always said the Romans, but there is no proof of this (but they were going to ignore this? I think not.).

In the article a old man remembered when he had worked there in the 60´s-70´s, under the sun, with the feet into hot salted water, and he said that the had to drink water mixed with vinegar and sugar or honey to keep fresh.

2000 years later, still in use, and is not a stone bridge, but a recipe, which is harder to conserve through the time!

Link to more info in English:

www.alavaturismo.com/en/ficha-patrimonio.php?Clave=13
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.

Messages In This Thread
surviving "Isotonic" roman drinks recipes - by Iagoba - 10-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Re: surviving "Isotonic" roman drinks recipes - by Dean Cunningham metalsmim - 10-15-2007, 02:30 AM