Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts
Quote: Me, I wouldn't bother, since I think it's more FUN and both physically and intellecutally SATISFYING to use something that looks just as good, and takes about half the amount of effort into making. I mean, if you have nothing else to do with your time, go for it!
Sure, but to at least have done it once would also be a good thing. I mean, I've done about 4 flat shields now (8 when I count the 4 new onesa for the kids), and I bought one dished. But now I also would like to at least try to make a dished one myself, so that I can say I did it! Also, I am such a doofus that I always own up to those who ask that the others are from plywood... :oops:

Quote:I really don't see the GIANT leap forward here...once it's painted and covered in leather or fabric do you really notice it? Is the average joe public spectator going to say "Holy bananas, those guys have laminated scuta!" Or would they not be able to tell the difference? I think this is a pride thing, which is great, but really, you're not doing anything that is visually outstanding in any regard beyond your own unit, unless you want to keep your scuta unpainted and uncovered with linen or leather.
You are right - a pride thing, and I think (since so very few of us do it) it's a thing to be really proud of!

Quote:And why would Matt give a laudes point for something he already did a year ago? It's a discussion forum...and when you do something "new", expect to have it questioned. If you can't handle that (which i'm sure Hib can Smile ) then I don't know what to tell you.
I'm sure that Hib can take it, and you are so right - on a discussion forum everything can and will be discussed (within the rules, of course), but i also think this rightly deserves a laudes just for the effort!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts - by Robert Vermaat - 11-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, what is this? - by Neuraleanus - 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Testing Redux Hibernicus 0 762 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus