Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts
Quote:Why bother? Does this laminated method give a stronger shield than using 2 plywood halves?

Otherwise, if it's all covered in linen/leather, and you can't see the construction, what's the point? Especially if the finished product that you see is just as authentic from an aesthetic point of view?

Magnus/Matt Lanteigne

"Why bother? ..what's the point?"

Because, for us in LEGIO IX HISPANA, its more than how it looks... You can rest assured that the lath strip scutums look and feel different than the plywood versions.

And, yeah... these scutums are stronger than modern plywood but that's not the point. And, I suspect that scutums made from slow growth wood will be even stronger.

Why use plywood when other materials are as easy to use and more durable?..... take aluminum for example.. I've made some aluminum scutums for some SCA guys. Made others than have one layer of luan and one layer of aluminum. When its covered in linen and painted... Heck, might as well glue hide and cloth over 1/3 of a plastic barrel... I've seen some very nice scutums made from those large blue plastic barrels. Couldn't tell it was plastic until you thumped it.

These too are also "just as authentic from an aesthetic point of view..."
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
Re: SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts - by Hibernicus - 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Ok, what is this? - by Neuraleanus - 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Testing Redux Hibernicus 0 766 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus