Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands
Hi all,
sorry to join so late in the dance. I was kept busy.

I was actually at the presentation of this sword; I live in Woerden.
The original location of the sword is less than half a mile from my house.
I'm saying the original place because it was told at the presentation, which was, by the way, because of Woerden's new drive-in museum, not because of the find of the sword that the sword was found in soil removed less carefully from the site which was later checked, on request of the archeologists, for artefacts by amateur-detectorists.
They found it, so the actual find-circumstances sadly have been destroyed.

At the presentation the sword was unpreserved, and yet unstudied and was quite correctly announced as -probably being a falcata sword of sorts which could be from Spanish-related troops-. It was further announced that it still needed a lot more study before anything definitive could be published about it.

After proper treatment it will most likely be displayed in the museum here in Woerden.
Naturally I'm quite interested in this object and will keep you posted when
I hear something new about it.

Cheers,
Wim / Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO

Messages In This Thread
Falcata at Dura Europas - by Celer - 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Woerden "Falcata" - by pvblivs cordvs - 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - by Jeroen Zuiderwijk - 10-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The helmet from Laurium / Woerden NL Robert Vermaat 12 4,497 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Last Post: garrelt
  Found: part of the Woerden castellum/The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 0 964 11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat