Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands
Hi there everybody. Long time no see..
That Falcata... Kopis... Machaira... Sort of single edged weapon is pretty interesting.
First of all the style as far as I can see looks awfully germanic. The back of the handle looks very much like a bird executed in the germanic style.
Could it be a seax?
These came in many shapes and sizes.
However, because there is always an however: this lump at the top of the blade looks very much like the little knife traditionnally attached to the weapon we are discussing, cross guard included. It is set a bit too high though.
Incidentally, "falcata", much like "lorica segmentata" is a modern name.
It seems the Romans called it a "Spanish machaira".
I humbly admit I learned it from the ineffable Wikipedia, but they quote Fernando's writings.
So.. It is definitely not a falcata.. Whatever it is.
But whatever it is, I am pretty sure the smith who made that weapon knew what a machaira was. This type of handle can only mean a heavy, single edged slashing, or mostly slashing weapon of the meat cleaver category.
Pascal Sabas

Messages In This Thread
Falcata at Dura Europas - by Celer - 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - by Antonius Lucretius - 11-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Woerden "Falcata" - by pvblivs cordvs - 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - by Jeroen Zuiderwijk - 10-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The helmet from Laurium / Woerden NL Robert Vermaat 12 4,483 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Last Post: garrelt
  Found: part of the Woerden castellum/The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 0 957 11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat