Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands
Hephestus and other friends:
THESE ARE NOT 'SOME DESIGNS OF FALCATAS'. This is a disaster!

The primary source for those drawings is... myself. The figures come from one of my books, titled 'El armamento Iberico' published in 1997 in Monographies Instrumentum, 3, Montagnac, France.

That scanned image comes from another Forum in which people with a very slight knowledge of scientific procedures have mixed different Figures from that book into a pout pourri , a mixture,which is inmensely misleading (see http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2729 )

a.- Top row right: Italic machairai from Italy -I personally studied and drew some of them in the Villa Giulia and Vatican Museums- Mostly VI-V c. B.C Probably coming from Picenum (too long to explain here)

b.- Top row left: Greek kopides from Dodona, Anatolia and Bronze Age swords from Macedonia. 14th C BC and VII-V c. BC

b. Falcatas from the fourth to the second centuries BC from Cordoba and Murcia (middle and lower row).

(By the way, these are all upside down according to recognized rules for archaeological drawing).

And, believe me, these machairai and Bronze Age kopides, and Iberian falcatas, only bear a superficial resemblance to each other and to the sword discussed above, from the Netherlands.

I insist, according from the pictures so far shown, that from Holland is NOT a Spanish falcata, at most, it derives from a badly understood idea of what a falcata might have looked like.

I am a bit irritated, because the use of some of my figures without a proper understanding of the context -TEXT- in which they were placed, can lead -at is has done in this case- to great misunderstandings and mistakes. Go to a good research Library, or to Interlibrary Loan, read the 100 + written pages on the falcata and its antecedents and parallels, perhaps also read my book on the 'Iberian Falcata' (Alicante 1992), and perhaps if you are lucky examine personally a dozen examples or so -I have studied hundreds of them, and parallels in Italy and Greece-. Only them you'll get a proper understanding of the problem and will avoid silly mistakes as those made by the people in the other Forum who originally scanned and reused my work without properly studying it.
Best Regards

Messages In This Thread
Falcata at Dura Europas - by Celer - 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - by Thersites - 11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Woerden "Falcata" - by pvblivs cordvs - 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - by Jeroen Zuiderwijk - 10-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The helmet from Laurium / Woerden NL Robert Vermaat 12 4,485 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Last Post: garrelt
  Found: part of the Woerden castellum/The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 0 957 11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat