Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle republican triplex acies: a problem of space
Quote:But not Polearm, Rob. Obviously a matter of preference, though.
You're right, perhaps it's my English that's at fault. I was thinking of the Dutch word "geweer" which today means "rifle" and also "musket", but which originally could also mean "pike" (a half pike was known as a "kortgeweer"). With pole-arm I simply meant 'a shafted weapon'.
Quote:That passage certainly could be interpreted to mean that Philip's Light Foot lacked Shields, but on the other hand it may simply mean they lacked Swords [i.e. the Velites are equally prepared for attack and defence, but the Greeks only for defence]. Ancient Greek Peltasts regularly made use of 'Light' Shields. I wouldn't be surprised to find Philip's Light Foot with Shield and Spear, it may just be the combination of Sword and Shield that is being highlighted.
True. However, even with shields, the hastati light infantry would still have been unable to engage in close combat, so the rest of my argument would remain unaffected.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Messages In This Thread
Re: Middle republican triplex acies: a problem of space - by drsrob - 10-24-2006, 11:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Acies quadratum” On the square formation of the Roman army Julian de Vries 12 2,286 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Triplex Acies and the Standard Bryan 2 1,691 08-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Acies quadrata Cesco 43 7,120 02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Renatus