Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle republican triplex acies: a problem of space
Theoretical spacing can be quite the problem. If the Hastati, for instance, are deployed in ten Maniples of 120 Men, they might be initially deployed in 10 Files of 12 Ranks or 20 Files of 6 Ranks. Other configurations are possible, but, if we assume the former, and take Polybius' spacing into account we may conclude that each Maniple has a frontage of 60 Feet with gaps between of equivalent space. This, though, is by no means certain.

Such deep formations make little sense to me nor do gaps after the Velites have retired, so I follow the school of thought that has Maniples fill in the gaps before closing with the enemy, which could mean that each Maniple would have a frontage of 120 Feet, with a continuous line of ten Maniples having a frontage of 1,200 Feet. This seems to me a reasonable hypothosis for the Hastati and Principes battle order. If the Hastati line were to crumble they could retire through the gaps in the Principes line before that was also filled.

The Triarii pose a problem in this context, but the simplest solution would be for them to operate in the same way, first in 10 Files and 6 Ranks and afterwards (once the rest of the army has fallen back behind them) in 20 Files and 3 Ranks.

There are, of course, a number of questions around the Triarii which need to be answered:

1) Did they have an individual frontage of 6 Feet, like their fellows, or did their more Hellenic style equipment cause them to have an individual spacing of 3 Feet?

2) What was the purpose of arming them differently from the other two lines? The Spear would certainly be an advantage against Horsemen, which strikes me as a useful kind of troop to be able to deploy as a reserve to the flanks or rear of a battle line.

3) What was the purpose of the Triarii? To my mind they would not be likely to recklessly attack an enemy. I suppose that their role was to stop routs by halting the advance of the enemy until the other lines rally and reform.

4) Looking at the battles described by Polybius there appears to be no clear delinated role for the Triarii. Indeed, in Scipio's final battle with Hannibal all three lines are eventually deployed as one to envelop the enemy in the final stages of the battle.

Needless to say none of this likely occured regularly in real combat. Exceptions appear to have been the rule...

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Middle republican triplex acies: a problem of space - by Matthew - 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Acies quadratum” On the square formation of the Roman army Julian de Vries 12 2,321 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Triplex Acies and the Standard Bryan 2 1,700 08-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Acies quadrata Cesco 43 7,183 02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Renatus