Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first gaming/figure post
You can use an assembly line in painting and still be very detailed...its just a matter of, "ok, today I paint this many figures with this color...and DON'T botch up or ya gotta go back and touch up the last color...schmuck!"<br>
<br>
Thanks very much for your post Mr. Peterson. Its odd, I first heard of you in sort of an awed way when I began my study of Roman military history about two years ago, then when I began the painting of my own figures I happened to find a note on the HaT "everything toy soldiers" page that you had written. (which is where my mistakes were made, 2 legions rather than 3, ect.) I thought it was odd that I kept seeing this expert on Roman military history where ever I turned. Then, my collegue Brasidius happened to point me two these boards and here I am in a respectful awe addressing you directly. I am a lucky kid, thats for sure.<br>
<br>
I have a few brief comments/questions completely off topic. Fist, there is no need to apologize for the delay in your reply, sir. I am certian you are a busy man. I recall reading that you are a Lt. Colonel or a Colonel in the U.S. Army in addition to your other duties and hobbies. If I have this correct you are truely a man of many tallents. I am hoping to persue a career in the U.S. Army as well, so if I al correct in my information I'd be very interested to ask a few basic qestions in that regard as well, though this is not the place. If you're able, I can ask in the off topic board, or you could e-mail me at "[email protected]," though if I were as notable as yourself, I'd be cautious with my e-mail address. I am flexable.<br>
<br>
Now, back to the figures. I would be facinated to see your awesome legions. At present my collection is a single box of Italeri late Republican, and 2 ESCI Imperial, one set of Italeri Roman cavalry, a box of Italeri Celts, and some HaT Punic War Roman command figures to fill out the set. Those are my painted figures anyway, I have more than a dozen boxes of unpainted figures yet. Hopefully I'll have some more pictures of my small assembly in a few days, rather than just scans of a few figures.<br>
<br>
Your welding invention sounds most useful sir. I've attempted to perform similar operations with a cigerette lighter and a paperclip, with mixed results. I actually achieve good plastic welding results with a magnifying glass and a sunny day, but work on 1/72 figures with such a method would be impossible.<br>
<br>
What do you think of Hat's work? The previews of their upcomming segmented armor legions seem very very good, though their sculpting seems just a bit less in "sharpness" than Italeri or the now out ESCI. Still very good though, in 1/72 not many people look to see if there are sculpted eyes in the sockets like I do. The complaint I have with the Italeri Caesarian era Romans is half of the men, in addition to holding their scutum over their heads in a rather awkward looking fassion, have their swords on the wrong side. With much gnashing of teeth and superglue (which doesn't work too well) I fixed both problems and actually produced a figure that is properly prepared to thrust with his gladius. Pics to come hopefully this week.<br>
<br>
What other periods of 1/72 scale figures do you have sir? I got my start with U.S. Civil War figures back about the 3rd Grade myself. Currently, in addition to my 1/72 forces, I also am modeling AFVs in 1/35.<br>
<br>
Thanks very much for your time sir, I've already learned a great deal! <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Re: my first gaming/figure post - by Anonymous - 10-25-2002, 08:03 PM
The legions at Rosenheim - by Daniel S Peterson - 10-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Impressive - by Anonymous - 10-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Re: Impressive - by Caius Fabius - 10-28-2002, 12:27 AM
Re: - by Anonymous - 10-28-2002, 12:37 AM
first figure post - by Daniel S Peterson - 10-31-2002, 01:29 AM
Re: first figure post - by Anonymous - 11-12-2002, 04:31 AM
Re: CW Artillery, franks and Vikings, skeleton Romans - by Anonymous - 11-13-2002, 07:15 AM
esci Romans - by Daniel S Peterson - 11-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Re: esci Romans - by Anonymous - 11-19-2002, 08:12 PM