Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squamata backing: leather or linen?
His daughter was about three when this photo was taken. Wanted to march with daddy in the procession! Couldn't be more precious if she tried.

These are from the Kingdom of Meridies, or the Southeast United States (Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, excluding Florida). I've since moved to Washington, DC, and once I'm on my feet may join up with Matt Amt and Leg XX for some more serious reenacting.

We don't have any organized contingent per se, but there does seem to be a huge concentration of Late Roman folks in that area. Especially odd when you consider that the SCA "period" spans about 1500 years from Christ to the New World.

Actually, I've considered starting a dedicated thread on RAT a number of times. I think there are probably lots of SCA folks just like me who are interested in making the jump to more authentic kit, etc.

I studied in the UK while I was at Uni and had the pleasure of training and playing with The Vikings (couldn't find any Roman groups nearby). There seems to be a lot of tension between SCA folks and "serious reenactors" but what struck me was how completely similar the two were! Lots of computer geeks, ex-military guys, history nerds, table-top gamers, theatre-types.

I even wrote a whole dissertation on the phenomenon of Historical Reenactment groups in the UK. Fascinating read. I'm happy to email it to anybody who's interested.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Messages In This Thread
Squamata backing: leather or linen? - by Franklin - 10-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Squamata - by Celer - 10-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Re: Squamata backing: leather or linen? - by Franklin - 10-06-2006, 06:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman linen/leather armour scotti73 5 1,971 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass Quintilianus 26 7,580 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: TDawson
  Late Roman shield backing Caballo 5 2,383 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt