Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurions riding to battle
Well:

Quote:His equipment was very different so his men could quickly find him in battle.

The crest makes this somewhat true, doubtless, but it's a bit of a leap to suggest everything else is specifically different for identification purposes...

Quote:He carried a vine stick as a badge of rank. He would use this to punish his men!

True- there's a story about a Centurio whose nickname was 'Fetch another' because each time he broke his vitis on the back of a soldier he was punishing, he's call to his Optio to 'fetch another'

Quote:The horsehair crest on his helmet went from side to side.

Mostly accurate- a couple of Centuriones' tombstones do show a transverse crest although no clear evidence yet of the nature of the crest, so horsehair is just one of the possibilities.

Quote:He wore medals on his chest, awarded for bravery in battle.
Misleading- not all Centuriones had phalarae on a chest harness, and not only they wore them- there's at least one tombstone of an Aquilifer who has them as well

Quote:Centurions could marry, and their wives lived in the barracks with them.
I've never read of a universal law for this- and doubt it'd have been for the entire life of the Empire if there were at some point

Quote:They did not march, they rode on horseback.
I've never read a primary source that states this- I'd like to know what the evidence for this statement is

And please put your real name in your profile signature line- it's a forum rule Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Centurions riding to battle - by james1127 - 10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Re: Centurions riding to battle - by Matt Lukes - 10-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Re: Centurions riding to battle - by james1127 - 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Riding Centurions Purplest 4 2,404 08-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Centurions in battle in 3rd-4th cents AD Anonymous 6 2,343 03-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Last Post: drsrob