Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don\'t believe the hype: Temple treasure
So that's a dead end. A mysterious chronicle that would have mentioned the menorah when it was sent to Jerusalem? For what purpose?And an equally late source identifying the table. How? Was it written on the object?

Both sound equally vague and conflicting: if the Goths took the treasure, the Vandals could not have got it 40 years later.

Also, that move to Jerusalem sounds very suspicious.

Nope, I'm not convinced if there's no 5thc. or 6th c. source that describes the objects being taken from Rome by either the Goths or the Vandals. Until then I assume that the Romans melted them down (after all, they represented loot from an old war from yet another rebellious province. Nothing to keep around until the rise of Christianity, more than 200 (!) years later, gave these objects new meaning. That is, IF they were still around, which I find extremely unlikely when you think of all those power-hunghry and cash-strapped Emperors and wannabe-emperors inbetween.

I fear that most accounts of the wandering Temple treasure are Medieval wishful-thinking tales, good for a glass of strong ale by the warmth of the fire.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Don\'t believe the hype: Temple treasure - by Robert Vermaat - 09-27-2006, 09:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From the newsfeeds: Tomb of Herod (don\'t believe the hype) Jona Lendering 3 1,660 05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat